Letterpress printing stands apart from other printing methods as the best way to create handmade, one-of-a-kind invitations or stationery that feels as good to the touch as it is pleasing to the eye. At Spiffy Press, we use a Vandercook 219 letterpress. Each piece of paper and/or envelope is hand-fed through a series of rollers to achieve the “pillowy” impression associated with letterpress. Never mass-produced, never rushed, the result is one of exceptional beauty and authenticity.
Why offset printing?
Offset printing is simply another printing option. It is a high-end printing process that is done by a third party. It offers broad flexibility and selection with paper, finish size, colors, die-cuts, embossing and assembly. The printing is accomplished by either combining four colors (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) in various gradients or selecting specific Pantone® colors.
How are custom invitations and stationery priced?
Pricing is determined by a number of factors that you can control:
Once all of these questions are answered (even a rough idea will do), we can create an estimate for your project. Many of these questions may be new to you or may seem like a lot of work. With proper planning, the design and production process are very rewarding. And you’ll love the results of your custom invitation or stationery!
- Time to create a custom design – Depending you your needs and style preferences, we will try to work within your budget as best we can, suggesting options that fit your needs and wants.
- Quantity – Letterpress is most effective at a minimum of around 100 prints. However, if you need fewer, we can accommodate that too. Please know that the cost to create negatives and burn plates, set up and clean up remain the same for five or 500 prints.
- Type of paper – House paper is 110#, 100% cotton, tree-free, soft-white paper. This paper allows for a nice “pillowy” imprint. If you’d like less or more of an imprint (using thicker or thinner paper) or you’d like a different color or texture paper, we can special order it for you. Pricing is dependent on the paper vendor, and there is never an up-charge on specialty paper orders.
- Number of colors – One color, two? Three or more? The price increases with the number of colors used. For letterpress printing, please consider how precise a color match you are looking for. We can hand-mix mix a color for you to get a very close match to your ideal color (like, sky blue), however, if you prefer an exact Pantone® color (like PMS 225), we can purchase a custom color for you. If you are local to the Pasadena, CA area, you are always welcome to do a press check to see the color on press for yourself.
- Size – The size of your finished piece needs to consider the paper size that will be fed through the press. If you have a color that bleeds off the edge of the paper, the larger the printable area of the paper will need to be.
- Sides – Single or double-sided printing? If you need double-sided prints, you may need a heavier paper so the imprint does not show through to the other side. Double-sided printing also increases the number of imprints and ink.
- Number of pieces in your invitation (save-the-date card, RSVP card, map, invitations or thank you card) or stationery system (business cards, letterhead, second sheet, envelopes, note cards and envelopes, or other pieces). These all add to the cost of the project.
- Extras – Does your design require any extras, such as, die-cuts, embossing, perforation, hand-finishing (such as scoring and folding) or over-sized envelopes? These extras often increase the price.
What is a typical price range for letterpress printing?
There is no set price range since each job is unique. However, we have found that the most efficient use of design and printing (letterpress or offset) time is a project that requires a minimum of 100 sets, uses 2-colors, is one-sided, and includes hand-finishing, results in a minimum of roughly $25 per invitation.
What is a typical timeframe to design and print my custom invitations?
We suggest two months to design and print your custom invitations or stationery. This may vary depending on the simplicity or complexity of your design.
We accept VISA, American Express, MasterCard or Discover
There is a 100% satisfaction guarantee (excluding shipping costs) for unused pre-printed letterpress cards and goods in the original packaging, returned within 14 calendar days of purchase. Just ship them back to us and we’ll apply a credit in the method of payment you used.
Custom-designed and print projects are nonrefundable, which is why we spend time upfront discussing and planning the project to ensure you are completely satisfied with the results.